Today I would like to share an Easter prayer with you. This is a wonderful time to be reminded of what Jesus has done for us through His life, death, and resurrection.
What Events Happened on Good Friday
Passages to Consider:
- Matthew 27:1-66
- Mark 15:1-47
- Luke 23:1-56
- John 18:28-19:42
Events Associated with Jesus:
- Was taken before Pilate in the morning
- Sent to Herod
- Returned to Pilate
- Was mocked and beaten
- Saw Barabbas released in his stead
- Was crowned with thorns
- Was condemned to death
- Carried the crushing burden of his cross
- Told the weeping women what would happen in the future
- Was crucified between two thieves
- Forgave those who crucified him
- Entrusted His Mom to the beloved disciple
- Assured the good thief of his salvation
- Said his famous seven last words
- Cried out and died
- There was darkness over the land
- There was an earthquake
- The veil of the temple was torn in two
- Many saints of the Old Testament period were raised
- A soldier pierced Christ’s side and blood and water flowed out
- Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus went to Pilate and asked for Jesus’ body
- He was buried in Joseph’s own tomb
- A guard was set over the tomb
- All Jesus’ friends and family grieved at his death
Our Easter Prayer
God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. 2 Corinthians 5:21
Today we take time to stop and remember, the price that Jesus was willing to pay so that we could be forgiven and have a personal relationship with Him. We think about the pain and suffering of the cross, and all that Jesus was willing to endure, so we could be set free from our sins which separated us from Him. This great sacrifice was willingly taken on so we could be offered the gift of eternal life. This personal relationship would go beyond this life time. We thank you Lord for you truly do love us more than we can comprehend.
- John 3:16-17 – 16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.
- Romans 8:5-11 – 8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. 9 Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him! 10 For if, while we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life! 11 Not only is this so, but we also boast in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.
Abba Father, please help us to never take for granted this huge gift of love on our behalf. Help us to be reminded of the cost of it all.
- 1 Corinthians 6:20 – For you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.
- Ephesians 1:7 – In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace,
Again, we ask you to forgive us for being too busy, or distracted by other things, for not fully recognizing what you freely given, what you have done for us.
- Matthew 20:28 – Even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
- Titus 2:14 – Who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works.
- 1 Timothy 2:6 – Who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time.
Thank you, Lord Jesus our Savior, that by your wounds we are healed. Thank You for willingly making this huge sacrifice so we can live free. Thank you that sin and death have been conquered, and that your Power is everlasting.
- Isaiah 53:5 – But he was wounded for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his stripes we are healed.
- 1 Peter 2:24 – 24 “He himself bore our sins” in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; “by his wounds you have been healed.” 25 For “you were like sheep going astray,” but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.
- 1 Corinthians 15:55-57 – 55 O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?” 56 For sin is the sting that results in death, and the law gives sin its power. 57 But thank God! He gives us victory over sin and death through our Lord Jesus Christ.
Thank you that we can say with great hope, “It is finished…” For we know what’s still to come. And death has lost its sting. We praise you for you are making all things new.
- 1 John 1:9 – If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
- 1 Corinthians 1:30 – And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption,
In Jesus’ Name,
P.S. I would like to share a chorus from one of my favorite Demon Hunter songs that has helped me with my Easter prayer. It states rather well, why I feel the need to say a special Easter prayer to thank Jesus for what He has done. The chorus reminds me that I am human and that I will fail and fall short of God’s glory but I can because of what Christ has done come to Him with repentance and be forgiven.
Demon Hunter from their Album Extremist song #5 – “I will fail you”
Though the sorrow and fear
They may depart you today
I will fail you, Of that I’m sure
I will remind you of the pain forevermore
And when my sins are just a memory
I will fail you to the core
My Easter prayer to you Jesus – Is thank You for repentance and forgiveness. Thank You that You are always right there waiting to help me move forward from all of my messes into that good that you will make them.
A Special Promise to Us
God has made this promise to us – that Jesus will not lose anyone who has accepted Him as Saviour and Lord. YAY! (Another reason to say an Easter prayer.)
John 6:35-40 – 35 Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. 36 But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe. 37 All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. 38 For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. 39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. 40 For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”
Acts 4:12 – And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”
Galatians 2:20 – 20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20 – NIV
What are you so thankful to Jesus for that you cannot help but say an Easter Prayer?