One Great Sandwich Cookie
In 2 Peter chapter 1, Peter talks to us about the power of God. What it can do for us, and what it helps us to do for Him. God always has a part that only He can do (the wafer part of the cookie.) And, a part He expects us to participate with Him in (cookie cream filling).
God’s Part (Bottom Cookie Wafer)
God’s part. What He does for us. The bottom cookie wafer – (2 Peter 1:1-4 – The Voice):
- “God took the first step to rescue us from this corrupt world. He has granted us His power, revealed to us true knowledge, and spoken to us great promises.
- The Why: “He has done all this for a reason. That we might participate in His own nature and reflect His own life.”
- Pivot Point: “But we are not passive observers of God’s saving actions. We must receive His grace, grow in knowledge, and join Him in this work of redemption.”
Our Part (Yummy Cream Center)
Our Part – what God’s power helps us do for Him. The yummy creamy center – (2 Peter 1:5-9):
- NLT – “5 In view of all this, make every effort to respond to God’s promises. Supplement your faith with a generous provision of moral excellence, and moral excellence with knowledge. 6 And, knowledge with self-control, and self-control with patient endurance, and patient endurance with godliness. 7 And godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love for everyone. — 8 The more you grow like this, the more productive and useful you will be in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. . 9 But those who fail to develop in this way are short-sighted or blind. Forgetting that they have been cleansed from their old sins.”
- The Message – “5-9 So don’t lose a minute in building on what you’ve been given, complementing your basic faith with good character, spiritual understanding, alert discipline, passionate patience, reverent wonder, warm friendliness, and generous love, each dimension fitting into and developing the others. With these qualities active and growing in your lives, no grass will grow under your feet, no day will pass without its reward as you mature in your experience of our Master Jesus. Without these qualities you can’t see what’s right before you, oblivious that your old sinful life has been wiped off the books.”
God’s Part Again – The Top Cookie Wafer
God’s Part. What His power does for us. The top cookie wafer – (2 Peter 1:10-11):
- 2 Peter 1:10-11 – NLT – “10 Work hard to prove that you really are among those God has called and chosen. Do these things, and you will never fall away. 11 Then God will give you a grand entrance into the eternal Kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.”
God has given us this power for life and godliness. Let’s use this divine nature with the Holy Spirit’s help. So we can walk worthy of our calling (Ephesians 4:1) and become more like Christ.
Our calling is our status quo before God in Christ.
Our “walk” is how we apply that status to experience.
We need to do something with the “divine nature [disposition]” God gave us.
God, thank You so much for all that You have done for us and all that You have given us. Please help us to take Your precious gifts and turn them into a life like Christ’s. Abba as always be with each person reading this post and bless them as they walk with you to become the final masterpiece You created them to be. In Jesus name, Amen.
How productive are you in your knowledge of Jesus?
Or, what steps are you taking to develop faith, moral excellence, knowledge, self-control, patient endurance, godliness, brotherly kindness and love?