The words that you and I chose to write or speak to others can leave a huge impact and create a lasting memory. This impact or lasting memory can either be good or bad. Thus, it is super important that we choose our words wisely. Our Words have the power to make or break relationships. We can also accelerate or kill our careers by how we chose to express ourselves.
Let’s learn to use our words to build people up rather than to confine them where they are or to break them down.
Just as important however, is the words that you chose to speak into your own life. Are they positive helping to build you up (by instilling belief and hope) or negative helping to confine you where you are or tearing you down completely?
WORDS HAVE POWER!
One important thing to remember “sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me” is not true at all.
According to a groundbreaking study by Betty Hart and Todd Risley, “The Early Catastrophe,” it was shown that the differences in language and interaction experiences in the first four years of a child’s life has lasting effects on their performance later in life. One of the main impacting factors considered was the ratios of encouraging versus discouraging feedback. By the age of four, the average child from dysfunctional struggling family will hear 125,000 more words of discouragement than encouragement. That comes to 85 words of discouragement to every 1 word of encouragement per day. And that was just what they found within the household environment. It is estimated that it takes 3 words of encouragement to negate every word of discouragement spoken into your life.
WORDS ARE POWERFUL!
Let’s take a look at a few Proverbs, some quotes and watch a little video.
Let’s Look at 7 Proverbs
- Proverbs 11:17 – TNIV – “Those who are kind benefit themselves, but the cruel bring ruin on themselves.”
- Proverbs 15: 1 – NIV – “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but harsh words stir up anger.”
- Proverbs 15:4 – NLT – “Gentle words bring life and health; a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit.”
- Proverbs 16:24 – NLT – “Kind words are like honey–sweet to the soul and healthy for the body.”
- Proverbs 18:20 NLT – “Words satisfy the soul as food satisfies the stomach; the right words on a person’s lips bring satisfaction.”
- Proverbs 20:15 NLT – “Wise speech is rarer and more valuable than gold and rubies.”
- Proverbs 25:18 NLT – “Telling lies about others is as harmful as hitting them with an ax, wounding them with a sword, or shooting them with a sharp arrow.”
Let’s Look at 8 Quotes
- “Be mindful when it comes to your words. A string of some that don’t mean much to you, may stick with someone else for a lifetime.” -Rachel Wolchin
- “Be careful with your words. Once they are said, they can be only forgiven, not forgotten.” -Unknown
- “Words have energy and power with the ability to help, to heal, to hinder, to hurt, to harm, to humiliate, and to humble.” -Yehuda Berg
- “Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless.” -Mother Teresa
- “Don’t mix bad words with your bad mood. You’ll have many opportunities to change a mood, but you’ll never get the opportunity to replace the words you spoke.” -Unknown
- “Words are seeds that do more than blow around. They land in our hearts and not the ground. Be careful what you plant and careful what you say. You might have to eat what you planted one day.” -Unknown
- “Words are containers for power, you choose what kind of power they carry.” Joyce Meyer
- Speak to yourself like someone you love. Encourage yourself, motivate yourself, and uplift yourself with your words. ATGW
A Video on Words from a Past Blog Post
The full blog post for the above video and be found by clicking this link.
“Throughout human history, our greatest leaders and thinkers have used the power of words to transform our emotions, to enlist us in their causes, and to shape the course of destiny. Words can not only create emotions, they create actions. And from our actions flow the results of our lives.” Tony Robbins
“Your words have power. Speak words that are kind, loving, positive, uplifting, encouraging, and life-giving.” -Unknown
WORDS are containers of power, how will you use yours?